Friday, October 12, 2012

This is Interesting

OK, so I'm sitting at the computer, researching a very curious rock I found yesterday at the beach.

Google, Google, Google, Wiki, Wiki, Home Refinance, Google, Google, AHA!

OK.  Off to the refrigerator.  Weak magnet, weak magnet, weak magnet, weak magnet (by now, paper is beginning to pile up at my feet like giant potato flakes), weak magnet, STRONG magnet.

OK.  Back we go to the computer, we pick up the little rock... Using the magnet!

AHA!

OK...  so it is probably a meteorite.

Google, Google, Google, read, read, read, images, images "HOT ADULT CHAT".


Grrr. "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" Grrr. Click Click. Google, Google, Google.

AHA!  Black Meteoric Glass with a nice Fused "Fingerprint" of regmaglypts.

Browse, Browse, Browse... hmmm  Ebay...  Browse, Browse, Browse... AHA! Browse, Browse,

I walked into the TV room and got my antique pharmacy scales.  I picked up the little scales and went back to the computer.  I glared down at the  smallest weight.  


Hmmm.  

I got up, went to the desk and got my magnifying glass to read the little numbers on the weights.  Still can't quite read the patent date... at all.
I remember being able to read all that just fine when I got them, in 1976.  Alrighty then.

"ping"  I dropped the little meteorite onto the scales.

OK.  1/4 oz in grams...  7.08... + 3 from the little slide.  Let's call it 10 grams.


Hmmm. (disappointment fills my heart)

I idly began to surf Ebay while holding my $5.00 meteorite...  Oh nice!  meteorite glass jewelry!  Faceted meteorite glass!  

Google, Google, Oh look at those BIG ones!

OK! I held my little guy up to the screen so he could hang one time with his big cousins... you know, just for kicks. I'm kind of anthropomorphic, you know. I don't hug trees... but I do sometimes hold lengthy conversations with them.


I guess you could call that "Earning my Check."

Imagine my surprise when without any fuss at all the biggest crystal on the screen just reached out and gently tugged the little meteorite out of my grasp.  


I thought to myself; "This is interesting."

With an odd little “pop” both the big and little meteorite vanished into the screen, and the little "broken image" symbol replaced the original picture.  

I sat and thought about that for maybe... five minutes. I then turned off my computer, and left the room. About ten minutes later I came back in, picked up my soda and unplugged the computer from the wall.

I noticed a sharp pain and realized that my fingertip and thumb that had been holding the meteorite had perfectly clean little slices neat as you please, and both had a little spot that was missing the fingerprint.  A little... shiny... spot.

Hmmm.

So anyway, I went on about my business.  A couple of days later I decided to pick up all the paper off the floor and put it back on the fridge.

On the third day the mail came, and there was a little crystalline envelope hand-addressed to me, very formal-like.

Mister John Edward Charles Hubertz
2816 Palisade Drive
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA  46806-8523

(I thought the use of the full zip+4 was a nice touch, Kind of shows somebody cares, you know?)

When I touched the envelope, the flap slowly opened of its own accord.  The postmark was “Roswell, NM. 88201”

I slowly tipped the envelope over, and after a moment, two perfectly round little slices of fingerprint fell into my hand.  They melted into my skin like snowflakes.  Feeling an itch I looked at my thumb and forefinger and watched as my fingerprints grew back.

Hmmm.

So I put the little envelope in my file cabinet, and went back to my normal life.  The Title on the File?

“This is Interesting”

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post a comment. I moderate at least 3X a week. Any questions or problems with the site please email me at imautoparts@yahoo.com .

Comments are encouraged, respected and appreciated. Fire away.