Tuesday, October 1, 2013

12th and Vine, Kansas City - Urban Renewal Gone Wrong

During the late 19th and for most of the 20th century, one of the most notorious, fun and culturally important places in the United States was the neighborhood in Kansas City so wonderfully described in the iconic song "Kansas City" by Fats Domino.



The lyrics say it all:

I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City here I come
I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City here I come
They got some crazy little women there and I'm gonna get me one
--------------------------------------------------------------
I'm gonna be standing on the corner
12th Street and Vine
I'm gonna be standing on the corner
12th Street and Vine  

With my Kansas City Baby and a bottle of Kansas City wine
--------------------------------------------------------------
Well I might take a plane I might take a train
But if I have to walk I'm going just the same
I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City here I come
They got some crazy little women
there and I'm gonna get me one


The reason Fats immortalized this place in one of his most popular songs was the neighborhood in which that famous intersection is centered was known for decades for rough and rowdy crowds, bars and fighting, jazz music and barbecue, cowboys partying with african americans, brothels, seedy flophouses and dives.

Before, during and after prohibition, through the 50s and early 60s, the area known more popularly as just "Vine Street" or "18th and Vine" was the heart of african american culture and good times for the entire region.  Here is an excellent article on the history of the street and musical heritage from the University of Missouri-Kansas City's website.

Today, while there are still traces of the original neighborhood around 18th street, the heart of the party culture that used to flow like blackstrap molasses through the area has been wiped completely away.

Here is a picture of 12th and Vine as it exists today (click on photo to view full size):


Like so many interesting, culturally significant and just plain fun neighborhoods in America, what used to be the heart of a cultural mecca that spawned some of the most creative music, food and entertainment in the United States has been "Cleaned to Death."

Why do you think cities like Berlin, Munich, Paris and Amsterdam have such rich heritage and culture?  Their political leaders were never allowed to gut whole neighborhoods in the name of 'safety' and civic improvement.  Between fire codes, building codes and just plain selective application of code enforcement and the law, America has pretty much lost most of the fun spots in urban America.

While you could argue whether or not our cities are actually safer as a result, one thing is clear - this is self-induced cultural genocide, and sadly, the loss of this neighborhood and countless others like it make the USA a much less interesting and enjoyable place to live.

Looking at the picture above, all I see is a lack of cultural respect and understanding among our political elite and the companies that dictate and profit from their actions.  

What has happened to 12th and Vine is a crime - it has robbed us all, not just in Kansas City but also in countless cities and towns across America.  Isn't it time we stood up and stopped letting "our" representatives use laws and regulations to destroy our American heritage?



No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post a comment. I moderate at least 3X a week. Any questions or problems with the site please email me at imautoparts@yahoo.com .

Comments are encouraged, respected and appreciated. Fire away.